Gaiamuffin

mercoledì, giugno 04, 2008

JUNE 4TH 1989

We all know the image of the man standing in front of a tank in Tiananmen Square. We do not know how many died on that day and the following. We do not know how many died in prison nor how many are still in prison. (read: "Tiananmen activists must be released" on Amnesty.org) To celebrate this 19th anniversary I signed the Amnesty International petition against internet censorship in China.
Four years ago, I was preparing with a friend our study trip to Beijing. On the 4th June, we talked about the little the world (and us, as part of it) knew about the Tiananmen facts (
read about on bbc.com), and we wondered whether something could change in five years time. One year still has to go, but for the moment nothing has significantly changed, except for the fact that I do not have contacts with that friend anymore.
I know that we won't celebrate the 20th anniversary with truth and I am convinced that as long as freedom of expression in China is not granted, there is no hope for the 30th.
I'll try to retrace my friend T. I am sad and happy at the same time every time I think of China and I think that he, as many others who "crossed" my Chinese experiences, understand my feelings.
Sad 19th anniversary, Tiananmen Square.

Etichette: , , , , ,